When we hire for certain positions, we will announce job openings in this section, as well as on the Facebook page for each facility. Jobs may be posted in appropriate and online resources in each location.
If there are no jobs listed, we are not currently hiring.
If there are no jobs listed you can apply for future consideration.
General Considerations for Employment
Certain positions such as Log Buyer, Mill Supervisor or Technical Supervisor will have specific experience requirements and those will be listed in the job recruitment. However, for general mill positions while experience working in a saw mill, in logging or other forest products business is desirable, we train all of our employees. We also like to work with individuals who have studied forestry in school. However, all we look for is someone willing to learn and work hard and be part of our family. Everyone has to be trained to work our equipment, so everyone has a chance at these jobs.
Speyside Bourbon Cooperage Inc., offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to employees at each of our facilities. These include medical and dental insurance, Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Paid Vacation, 8 Holidays and a matching 401k. Some benefits are only available to full-time employees or after a designated waiting period.
Speyside Bourbon Cooperage, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Speyside Bourbon Cooperage, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying.
Job Title: Log Yard Manager, McDermott, OH Stavemill
Job Description: Log Yard Manager position is an integral part of the Speyside Management team. The Log Yard Manager reports directly to the Stave Mill Supervisor and the Western Region Procurement Supervisor. The Log Yard Manager is responsible for the procurement, grading and tagging of white oak stave logs; receiving tagged logs purchased by our buyers on the road; and maintaining an organized log yard. This position requires an individual to be able to work independently and in a team environment; have a strong work ethic and be a self-starter. The successful candidate shall have strong managerial or supervisory experience; demonstrated excellent communication skills both written and verbal; and excellent organizational skills.
- Running an effective gate log program consisting of grading, pricing, and properly tagging white oak logs capable of being manufactured into bourbon barrel staves.
- Properly receiving and inventory of transfer loads.
- Inventory management and control of logs purchased to be used in production and will be responsible for maintaining target inventories to ensure that wood will be available based on the production needs of the mill.
- Provide quality control of log purchases, ensuring that Speyside buys the highest quality white oak for use in its manufacture of bourbon barrels.
- Developing positive, long-term personal relationships with local loggers in order to procure quality logs for the stave mill.
- Assure that all safety procedures are met and maintained and personally promote and encourage a safe working environment for themselves, their coworkers, suppliers, and contractors.
- Develop positive personal relationships with other members of the Speyside Management team and work closely with the Western Region Procurement Manager to ensure that the necessary inventory of logs is maintained to ensure production goals can be met or exceeded on a daily basis.
- Strive to optimize the overall log yard layout to achieve both maximum utilization and volume efficiency of the log yard in order to minimize log yard costs.
- Effectively organize high log volume inventories and control log flow from purchase to consumption.
- Ensure log yard operations comply with all federal, state and local environmental rules and regulations.
Education: AA or BS in forestry preferred.
Experience: A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience managing a log yard and/or buying logs.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills: The Log Yard Manager should have knowledge of timber and wood products industries. Have familiarity or competency in the use of inventory management software. Be a certified Loader and Knuckle boom Operator (desirable).
Travel Required: 5%
Hours: 45 - 50 hours per week depending on production schedules and the needs of the business.
Salary: Negotiable and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; 8 paid holidays; PTO and 401k plan.
Position Open: Until Filled
How to Apply: Qualified and interested candidates should send resume, cover letter and salary requirements for consideration to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference Log Yard Manager in the subject line.
Speyside Bourbon Cooperage
P.O. Box 509
960 East Main Street
Jackson, Ohio 45640
Toll Free: 855.276.2386
Speyside Bourbon Stave Mill
306 W. North Street
Waverly, Ohio 45690
Speyside Bourbon Stave Mill
P.O. Box 284
466 Millboro Industrial Park Road
Millboro, VA 24460
Speyside Bourbon Cooperage, Inc. (Atkins, VA)
6373 Lee Hwy
P.O. Box 699
Atkins, VA 24311
Speyside Stave Mill (Glade Spring, VA)
13459 Owens Drive
P.O. Box 118
Glade Spring, VA 24340
Speyside Stave Mill (Manchester, KY)
1060A Clay Leslie Park Road
P.O. Box 609
Manchester, KY 40962